This LIFE project aims to consolidate the conservation brown bear and develop new activities that facilitate its implementation in the future:
- Ensure the future of biological species in the Pyrenees, moving the population against the risk of endogamy and increasing the number of bears.
- Ensure the future of the species in an ecosystem preserved, protected and interconnected, but simultaneously managed by many political and administrative units, with differentiate laws and management.
- Ensure the future of the species in the social, political and economic sphere, mitigating the risks associated with their presence, with special emphasis on the livestock activities.
- Integrate the brown bear in the daily life of towns and mountain people, so that can become a natural fact, like other species of fauna, and it becomes an opportunity for economic growth.
- Establish a protocol for managing the population of brown bears that remain after the implementation of this project LIFE.
- Serve as an example for other regions, developing, transferring and making available to other areas of the Pyrenees and the European Union which have similar problems or host other large predators (protocols and proposals for action that allow the coexistence and ensure the future of the brown bear).
It also aims to obtain a series of concrete results , among them :
- An Action Plan for 10 years (2014-2023).
- Understand the genetic and demographic structure. 20 years coordinated plan to improve them.
- A male translocated to increase the values of genetic variability.
- Achieve zero attacks over livestock and beekeeping.
- Design and creation of an international network “brown bear” for ecological connectivity (in a Nature 2000).
- Prevent and avoid human-bear conflicts in areas of proximity: guidelines.
- Creation of a coordinating inter administrative Pyrenees network, monitoring and promotion of efficiency measures in management.
- Documents engagement with farmers and hunters.
- Inform in different areas (tourism, visits, centers that are focus, etc.), including social media.
- Training local human population (students, parents, farmers, herders, etc.).
- Develop a manual of how to make this kind of reintroductions: synthesis of the project.
- Advance in measures to help to set up a positive attitude towards the brown bear and as a development opportunity.